This Moroccan-style dish will impress with its vibrant colours and fragrant dressing. Adding liberal amounts of herbs and spices can significantly boost both the flavour and antioxidant content of your meal.
PREPARATION: 20 MINUTES, COOKING: 45 MINUTES, SERVES 6
2 small Spanish onions, peeled and quartered
2 medium Desiree potatoes, scrubbed well and quartered
500 g (171⁄2 oz) butternut pumpkin (butternut squash), peeled and cut into 2.5-centimetre (1-inch) chunks
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2.5-centimetre (1-inch) chunks 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
11⁄2 cups whole wheat couscous
1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons passata (tomato puree) 5 tablespoons lemon juice
80 g (3 oz) mixed green leaves, washed and drained
100 g (31⁄2 oz) fetta cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (390°F).
2. Prepare vegetables and spread on 2 oven trays lined with parchment (baking) paper. Brush with olive oil.
3. Place trays in hot oven and roast vegetables for 45 minutes, removing onions after about 30 minutes or when browned.
4. Place couscous in a glass bowl and pour over 11⁄2 cups of boiling water. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes, then fluff up with a fork.
5. Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients and mixing well. Set aside.
6. Pile up ingredients on a serving platter in the following order: couscous, roasted vegetables, green leaves, crumbled fetta, pepitas. Pour over the salad dressing. Serve immediately. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for several days.
For dairy free version, use Almond Cream Cheese in “feta” form
Substitute the couscous (which is an instant type of pasta) with cooked white quinoa, which is a pseudo grain and much more nutritious
Per serve: 1786 kJ (427 Cal); protein 10 g; fat 29 g; saturated fat 6 g; cholesterol 11 mg; carbohydrate 31 g; sugars 9 g; fibre 6 g; calcium 102 mg; iron 1.6 mg; sodium 231 mg